Police Resource Specialists

The Odessa Police Department's Police Resource Specialist (PRS) Unit provides a 24-hour service to the public.

This Unit is under the direct supervision of Sergeant Randy Vest and is comprised of 3 civilian, full time employees. The Police Resource Specialist is a non-sworn position designed to improve the Police Department's response to the increasing demands for service.


Police Resource Specialist Unit CounterThe Unit serves as the Department's information center. It oversees security for the police building, provides guidance and assistance to people coming into the building or by telephone, and takes minor police reports (without evidence) over the telephone in order to relieve the workload of officers in the field.

The reports taken by the Police Resource Specialist are just as effective as an officer's report and will be forwarded to the proper locations, such as Records or Detectives, etc.

For any Police information assistance or to make a Police Report over the telephone please contact the Police Resource Specialist Unit.

Phone Report Types

The types of reports that may be taken over the telephone include:

  • Auto burglary (no pictures necessary)
  • Criminal mischief (without evidence)
  • Debit/Credit card abuse (if the location used is in the City limits)
  • Identity theft
  • Information reports (scams or other problems to report)
  • Missing person
  • Runaway
  • Telephone harassment (no evidence such as voicemail or text)
  • Theft of checks
  • Theft

In-Person Report Types

There are other types of reports that may be taken by the Police Resource Specialist in person at the front desk of the Police Department. These types of reports require the victim to provide documentation or evidence that can be taken into the Police Department at the time the crime is reported and therefore must be done in person. They are:

  • Assaults (Class 'C' and 'A')
  • Credit card abuse
  • Criminal Mischief (with or without evidence that can be photographed)
    • If the victim needs pictures of property damage such as a vehicle, etc. or the person brings in pictures to turn in as evidence, the TRU can do the report
  • Forgery (with a copy of the document forged and location (if possible))
  • Found property
  • Identity theft
  • Information report for scams
  • Information report for violating a protective order (such as child custody issues)
  • Retail theft (with or without evidence)
  • Telephone harassment (with text messages or voice mails)